Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I did it


I finally bit the bullet and attempted knitting in the round.

I have not only mastered the 'Emily Ocker's cast on', but have used 4 dpn's to begin with and am now on a circular needle.
To start off, needles were flying around everywhere, poking me here and poking me there. But I perservered, I showed those needles who were boss, just like Elizabeth Zimmerman said I would.
I have cast on the EZ Pi Shawl, and what an addictive knit it has become.

My first shawl, my first E O cast on, my first E Z pattern (love it), my first experience with dpn's, and my first knitting in the round.

Perfect, as we had all succumbed to the flu in this house, (almost all, it appears Coen has been spared).
We have had the works, vomiting, diarrhoea, coughing, sneezing and endless boxes of tissues have been used.

I find, as a single parent illnesses very challenging. The first couple of days were not so bad with Mia sick first then folllowd closely behind by Camilla. But on the fourth morning I knew I was in trouble.
Having had no sleep for the previous 3 nights, nursing Mia, my defences were well and truly down.

It is in these dark moments of pain and fogginess I find myself thinking 'how are we going to get through this'.

So, here we are 10 days later, feeling a little more human than wounded animal.
Now the task is to clean the house as nothing has been done in a week.

Plenty of knitting though, in between resting on the couch in front of the fire. No sports were played over the weekend, as I declared complete rest for everyone, no matter how well you think you may feel.

3 comments:

Sam said...

the shawl looks great, and well done on all those 'firsts'! Sorry to hear about your house of sickness, but glad to hear that you are all on the mend.

Diane in Chico said...

Congratulations! I chose almost the same color ... http://bit.ly/9aBXu

Have fun on your adventure :-)

Duyvken said...

Seeing ill children through to health on your own is no small task. Then finding that you are also well without a backup is even harder. I am glad to read that everyone is coming back to health!